Monday, October 8, 2012

Frosted Pumpkin Cookies


I have been making these cookies for years with my sister. Until recently we would make them about once a year when fall came around, but this past summer there was a cookie bake-off at my school and I entered in the contest with my friend. I wanted to make these cookies because of popularity they have had in the past. We made them and won :) Ever since the bake-off there has been an increase in popularity and I have found myself making them every month by request. I have been giving out the recipe left and right lately so I thought I would share it on here.
Ingredients
Frosting:
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 4 tsp milk
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
Cookies:
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups pumpkin filling
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup butterscotch bits
Yields: 3 dozen
Directions
Frosting:
1. Combine butter, milk, and brown sugar in a saucepan and cook until sugar dissolves.
2. Let cool, then stir in confectioner's sugar and vanilla. You can begin making cookies while cooling.
3. Preheat oven to 375deg. Cream shortening and sugar.
4. Add pumpkin and egg.
5. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in separate bowl.
6. Mix this into creamed mixture a little bit at a time.
7. Stir in butterscotch bits.
8. Spoon dough (use cookie scoop) onto un-greased (or lightly greased) cookie sheet.
9. Bake 10-12 minutes. FROST COOKIES WHILE THEY ARE HOT!!! I suggest only doing 1 (maybe 2) sheets in the oven at a time since they need to be frosted while they are hot. Frosting them is the hardest part of these cookies. Enjoy :)

"There is nothing that warms your soul like a cookie made from the heart." -Julie Hatch (Simply Sweet 'n Sassy)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment