Monday, October 8, 2012

Sour caramel apple jello shots


I made these a few weeks ago for a MSU tailgate. They were a little sour for some, but I loved them :) I also made a different flavor of them last spring for a bachelorette party that you can see a picture of on my 'sweets' picture page. I forgot to take a picture of the final product here (oops!), but here is how they are made. You can mix and match flavors and fruit however you want. I have only made them twice, but I will keep you updated on any new flavors I try!
Step 1: Buy supplies! You will need:
  • 12 granny smith apples
  • 1 fifth apple pucker
  • 1 cup butterscotch schnapps
  • 2 lemons
  • 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • Green food coloring
  • **This recipe made extra filling, either use more apples, cut recipe in half, or I put the extra in a 8x8 pan to let harden and made jello cubes!
  • Yields: 48 jello shots + extra 8x8 pan of  jello cubes
Step 2: Cut and scoop apples! I bought a bag of granny smith apples so they were smaller than the single ones. You must first cut them in half lengthwise and then with a melon baller, scoop out the insides leaving about 1/4inch of peel (you can leave more if you like). Just make sure you don't get too close to the edge and get holes in the apple (I did this a few times). Then set the halved apples in muffin tins so they don't tip over in the fridge.

Step 3: Juice lemons. With a pastry brush coat the apple halves with the lemon juice to help prevent browning.
Step 4: In a large bowl, pour butterscotch schnapps and sprinkle with gelatin, let stand for 1 min.
Step 5: Boil 2 cups of water and pour into the gelatin mixture. Mix well until dissolved. Add the apple pucker and food coloring as desired and stir. (I wanted a brighter green to be festive for MSU)!
Step 6: Fill the apple halves with the jello mixture (I used a ladle) all the way to the top. Extra filling can either be put in a 8x8 pan, 2 oz. jello shot containers, or discarded. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until firm. 

Step 7: Once the jello is firm, cut each apple in half with a sharp knife and enjoy with friends :) Drink (eat) responsibly! Since I forgot to take a final picture of these, here are lemon ones I made last spring, they turned out great!
"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment